Peyton Manning as a Seahawk?

by Joe on February 3, 2012

The rumors are out there so I figured I would give my opinion on the matter because I know you all really care what I think (along with every other person with a microphone or a keyboard): What will happen with Peyton Manning next year?

Peyton Manning Seattle Seahawks

Will we see Peyton Manning wearing a Seahawks jersey next year?

If I was I Jim Irsay I would cut him. With Andrew Luck sitting there ready to go and a total crap shoot with Peyton’s neck I just don’t see how he can justify spending another $28 million to take a chance on squeezing another season or maybe two out of Manning. Indianapolis, even with Manning, isn’t winning another Super Bowl unless they make some major changes. Yeah, they would probably have won 8-10 games this year if Manning was on the field but the Colts need to start thinking of reloading and making a run in 3-5 years.

Who knows what will happen though. When you have an iconic player that means so much to a team, a franchise, a city, and a fanbase it is hard to make a business decision and move on. Maybe they will sit down with Manning and he will retire, maybe they will restructure his deal so if he is still injured they can get out of his contract more easily, maybe they will take a chance with one of the greatest QBs ever and keep him around for another season or two.

But if the Colts release Manning there are between 5-7 rumored destinations for him. And one of those teams is the Seattle Seahawks. Seattle has the makings of a very good team next year and maybe Manning, Pete Carroll, and John Schneider would think that with a QB like Manning they can start a string of Super Bowl runs. I see that as a very good possibility.

Tarvaris Jackson was better than expected this year and he would be fine under center for another year but we all know he isn’t the Quaterback of the Future. Manning wouldn’t be the QB of the future either but he would give them one of the greatest of all time while they find that guy in a year or two. Having Manning on the roster would allow Seattle to get some “project” QBs in the draft and not need someone to jump right in this year or next year.

Overall I would love the idea of Manning coming to Seattle. I know he would just be a short term hired gun and it would be a giant risk with his neck injury but I really do think this Seahawks team has the makings of a Super Bowl team and having a healthy Manning under center would make them one of the best teams in the NFC.

If he is healthy I would love to see Peyton Manning finish off his career as a Seahawk. With all the marquee teams coming to Seattle next year we would be looking at the most media attention the Seahawks have ever seen.

What do you think? Would you want to see Manning as a Seahawk? Is the risk too great? Leave a comment and let me know.

{ 12 comments }

Clayton February 3, 2012 at 3:30 pm

I would agree with everything you said in this article, and I would like to add the following thought: If you’re devoted Seahawks fan, how would you honestly feel if Peyton Manning went to the 49ers? Or the Cardinals? I would feel like the Hawks would be in deep s*** for however long Manning’s there.

Joe February 6, 2012 at 9:20 am

It would be trouble if Manning went to either of those places. Even if he is only at 90% that is a big upgrade from who they have under center. I don’t, however, think the rosters of the Niners or Cards is as solid top to bottom as the Seahawks, especially considering youth. San Fran has some great young defenders (Willis, Bowman, Smith, etc.) and some good young O-linemen but not a ton of solid youth elsewhere.

chris February 4, 2012 at 5:58 am

Yes take him immediately and tell Bevell to start taking notes on how to run an offense. While we are dreaming could Trent Richardson please fall to 11/12 in the draft, Marshawn Lynch resign, and Red Bryant become a sack machine?

Joe February 6, 2012 at 9:21 am

If we are really dreaming can we sign Mario Williams as a free agent as well?

Nate Low February 4, 2012 at 10:55 am

I like your point at the end about the rise in media attention. It’s something I hadn’t considered about the situation and something peripherally that could help the Hawks if they signed him.

I’m for offering him a contract as probably the greatest stop gap quarterback ever, as long as 1) It doesn’t thwart the progress of a project QB and 2) It’s a relatively cheap contract with the ability to painlessly cut ties in case of injury.

He’s a mega injury risk, but we’d be instant playoff contenders, a young QB could learn from a future HOFer, and he’d be gone in a couple years when that young QB is ready to play. Maybe the team could get more playoff experience? The two things going against this: Would Manning even want to play here (weather, Oline, receivers) and knowing how much PC/JS value locker room chemistry, would they even bother with another stop-gap QB?

Good read!

Joe February 6, 2012 at 9:24 am

I don’t think he would hurt the locker room chemistry at all. He would instantly be the most respected guy in there. And I really don’t think he is gonna hurt the development of a future QB. It will take at least two years for a young QB to develop and what better way than to learn from one of the all time greats? If the scenario could end up like what happened in Green Bay with Aaron Rodgers wouldn’t you be ecstatic? A hall of famer for two years and then a top 5 QB for the next decade.

Tim February 4, 2012 at 1:00 pm

If Peyton gets cut, my dream offseason for the Seahawks is signing Peyton and then signing Reggie Wayne as well to give Peyton an easier transition. Think Reggie Wayne and Sidney Rice on the outside with Doug Baldwin in the middle and Peyton Manning throwing them the ball. Add in Beast Mode running the ball and what an offense that would be

Joe February 6, 2012 at 9:25 am

I would love to see Wayne come in with Manning for a couple years!

Richardfg7 February 4, 2012 at 1:12 pm

I think either way this team has a very bright future. The bigger issue I see is getting that youngster into the system & start coaching him up. Portis shows a lot of good stuff and I wouldn’t be surprised to see him as the guy in a year or two. But they need another kid to compete right now. Manning would be nice for a year or two but I’m not concerned with the short term.

Joe February 6, 2012 at 9:26 am

If you have Manning that gives you a couple years to develop a youngster. Portis still needs that much time learning the game in my opinion. And anyone we would draft in the second round or later (Tannehill, Foles, etc.) would need at least that long as well.

Brant Ulrich February 4, 2012 at 2:04 pm

I think it would make the hawks an instant contender. I would love to see it if in fact he is healthy enough to play at a high level. With this young and solid d I think we are a qb and pass rusher from being deadly. The worse part about manning is the price tag which would be hefty and I don’t wanna see guys like lynch and Hawthorne leave because they are not getting paid but man it be night and day between Jackson and Peyton.

Joe February 6, 2012 at 9:28 am

I am sure the Seahawks could figure out a way to get Lynch, Hawthorne, and Bryant to stick around if they bring in Manning. I would guess if Manning does get cut and someone else signs him it won’t be for the $28 million he is currently due. At least not per year. Maybe a huge bonus or something like that. And if he gets a contract longer than 3-4 years I would be shocked.

Comments on this entry are closed.

Previous post: